Welcome to the #1 Volvo XC60 Forum and Volvo XC60 community dedicated to Volvo XC60 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Volvo XC60 Forum today!

Volvo XC60 D3 AWD Momentum: Intermittent Starting Issues Despite Two Garages Finding No Problems

luiscm88

Reactions
City
Geneva
State
Non-US
Country
Switzerland
What I Drive
Volvo XC60 D3 AWD
Hello,

I own a 2010 Volvo XC60 D3 AWD Momentum, and I've encountered an intermittent starting issue. A month ago, while in France, my car struggled to start. It cranked but wouldn't fully ignite. I had it towed via TCS to a nearby garage. Surprisingly, upon its arrival at the garage, the car started up without any issues. They inspected it but couldn't identify any problems.

While I found this puzzling, I'm not a mechanic, so I assumed all was well. However, the same issue resurfaced two weeks ago. This time, I had the car towed to an official Volvo service center. Just like the first instance, the car started up perfectly at the garage, leaving the mechanics baffled.

To assist them, I've shared a video recording of the issue, but they've yet to replicate the problem or determine its cause.

Has anyone experienced something similar or have insights on the possible issue? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The videos of the car failing to start are here: Volvo XC60 2010 fails to start

luiscm88

Reactions
City
Geneva
State
Non-US
Country
Switzerland
What I Drive
Volvo XC60 D3 AWD
Up!

Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2022 XC60 T8 PHEV
I have had around 15 occasions when my XC60 T8 PHEV would not start. The dashboard icons and all other ancillaries were dead as a dodo! No lights, boot opener didn't work; nothing! I thought that the 12V battery had run flat so I purchased a charger, a jump starter and a 25m 240V power lead in an attempt to cover myself for all eventualities! No one at either two of the Volvo main dealers in New Zealand could explain what the problem was.
The car would not start again the day before yesterday, so I recharged the 12V battery, got the car to start and took it to my Volvo dealer who kept the car for two days and then said that, "the TCAM battery in the boot had run flat", that they had recharged it and handed the car back to me. I then asked to speak to the manager at my Volvo dealer who promised to phone Volvo technical centre to seek an explanation for my TCAM battery running flat. I live in hope!
Interesting to see that others have found that the TCAM battery is not in the boot, but in the antenna. Seems no one at Volvo understands why my XC60 T8 keeps running flat. Any further insights would be appreciated.